- Restaurants & Partners
- News & Events
- Recent News
- Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Past Winners
- Wine For Waves
- Chowder Chowdown Toronto 2012
- Chowder Chowdown Vancouver 2012
- Newsletter Archive
Overfishing is the number one problem facing the world’s oceans.
Whether it’s canned tuna from the supermarket or spicy tuna rolls from a sushi restaurant, casual fish & chips or classy fine-dining, it is now easier than ever to find and enjoy Ocean Wise sustainable seafood across Canada. Founded in January 2005 by the Vancouver Aquarium, Ocean Wise is Canada’s leading sustainable seafood program since launching nationally in 2009.
The Ocean Wise symbol on a restaurant menu, retail display or store product is your assurance of making ocean-friendly seafood choices.
Ocean Wise Facts
- Ocean Wise is a Vancouver Aquarium conservation program dedicated to raising the awareness of sustainable seafood options for consumers.
- Ocean Wise works with over 300 partners across Canada at more than 2,700 locations.
- Ocean Wise program partners stretch across Canada from Victoria to Halifax.
- Ocean Wise partners include restaurants, retailers, suppleirs, culinary schools, universities and sports & entertainment centres.
- The program works with chefs and business owners to reduce the number of non-sustainable seafood items on their menus.
- Vancouver Aquarium works individually with each business to identify sustainable seafood options on their menu, retail display or store product.
- Sustainable seafood can be defined as a species that is abundant and resilient to fishing pressures; well managed with a comprehensive management plan; harvested in a method that ensures limited bycatch; and harvested in a way that limits habitat destruction.
- Businesses become Ocean Wise participating partners by completing an initial seafood assessment, with restaurants removing at least one unsustainable item from their menu and promoting the sustainable items with the Ocean Wise logo.
- Restaurants commit to remove at least one additional unsustainable seafood choice from their menu at a suggested rate of every six months until none of the listed species are offered.
- Sustainable seafood choices are identified with the Ocean Wise logo.
The Vancouver Aquarium and Ocean Wise founding restaurant partner, C Restaurant launched the program in January 2005.
The Ocean Wise program released its first Dining Guide, listing 16 restaurants, on April 22nd 2005, Earth Day.
- Ocean Wise announced national status in April 2009 at a special event in Toronto.
- Ocean Wise is the winner of the 2009 Pinnacle Award for 'Supplier of the Year'
Founding Ocean Wise Partner, Executive Chef Rob Clark
- Ocean Wise is made possible by the David & Lucille Packard Foundation, and is one of the many conservation programs created by the Vancouver Aquarium to protect the environment.
For more information contact call 604-659-3596
- MT @lifedelish: Finally found the only fish oil supplement recommended by @ocean_wise at @OurHealthWorks http://t.co/z1xkXv8wQC #Wholemega — 15 min 21 sec ago
- Celebrated #YYC seafood restaurant Catch goes all in -- becomes 100% @ocean_wise. Congrats, team! http://t.co/a4RZFta3fs @catchcalgary — 3 days 8 hours ago
- Celebrated #YYC seafood restaurant Catch goes all in -- becomes 100% @ocean_wise. Congrats, team! http://t.co/a4RZFta3fs @catchcalgary — 3 days 20 hours ago